May is Bike to Work Month in many places, and Friday, May 18 is Bike to Work Day.
We love how these events spark a conversation about riding bikes. Those of us who ride regularly have a the awesome responsibility and honor of sharing our wisdom with people whose interest is piqued!
How You Can Help Spread the Love of Biking
- Use common language and approachable terms.
- Forget about the complex details (unless someone specifically asks). Instead, keep it simple.
- Keep your tone positive and get people excited!
- Safety is important, but a lot of that can come from common sense. Instead of focusing on the danger zone, keep your tone light and focus on the most vital and helpful tips.
- What are those most helpful tips? We like topics like how to find a good route, how to decide what style of bike is right for you, what to wear in cold/rain/to a meeting, what fun events are happening, etc.
“Stylish Spokes: a Celebration of Biking and Women” by Greg Miller and Claire Bonham-Carter – San Francisco, CA.