Bidit Roy is no stranger to community activism and social change efforts, but he had never thought of the bicycle as a tool for bringing together people from different backgrounds, until he met bicycle filmmaker Shailesh Krishna. Bidit says Shailesh also had a child-like tinkering inquisitiveness that charmed him.
As soon as we saw Sonja Rohleder’s film “Dame mit Hund”, which translates as “Walk the Dog”, we were captivated. The animated piece has a quirky story and an intriguing minimalist animation style that stole our hearts.
For quite some time, a Malagasy (from Madagascar) trialist named Dada had been filming his bike tricks and posting them on social media. French filmmaker Félix Le Blanc somehow stumbled upon Dada’s simple smartphone videos, and was mesmerized. He couldn’t stop watch them, and soon a long-distance friendship was formed.
Our Homestay Program is one of the most rewarding ways to be involved in the festival. Homestays give filmmakers the opportunity to connect with locals, have a comfortable place to rest their head at the end of a long day and a chance to see the real Portland.
The 15th Annual Filmed by Bike features the world’s best bike movies with a huge film festival in Portland, Oregon every May, then Filmed by Bike On Tour takes our movie collections all over the world to build bike community and inspire people to ride.
Perform for a Huge Street Party Crowd!
Filmed by Bike is an amazing arts and culture event for Portland. Our Opening Night Street Party is a celebration of Portland’s diverse creativity. We love bringing exciting entertainment to our Main Stage outside.
Celebrate True Portland Creativity
The nation is going through hard times. Portland is going through hard times. It’s important for us to come together as a community and to celebrate community trough the arts.
Now more than ever, we’re working hard to line a diverse array of entertainers who exemplify what it makes to be creatively awesome in Portland.
- Apply with our form and we’ll be in touch by mid April
- We’re looking for acts that are upbeat and interesting
- Must be relevant for a Friday night outdoor party
- We are a not-for-profit endeavor, and as such as have a very small budget.
- We offer year-round marketing for your act – we’ll promote upcoming shows, etc. to our engaged fanbase.
Types of Entertainment
We’re open to a wide variety of performance types, but bands with a full band set up that includes sound checks and amplification generally don’t work for our space/timeframe.
- Live painting artists
- Step dancers
- Dance troupes
- Marching bands
- Bgirls and Bboys
Contact Cory McMahon, Festival Assistant: Cory@FilmedByBike.org
Use this form to apply to help us get a better understanding of who you are.
Postering is one of the most important ways we showcase our poster and showcase Filmed by Bike to a broad audience who may not know about the festival. This is an extremely important role and we’d love to have your support!
Spend a Day Around Town!
This is a fun, easy position. Select your neighborhood, load up your bag then head out for a day of fun on two wheels (or drive, we don’t judge!). It’s a cool way to explore Portland, maybe even select a neighborhood you want to get to know better! Stop for coffee, grab a doughnut, hit up the food carts and window shop as you go.
How Postering Works
- Go to the sign up page and choose the Postering position.
- Select the neighborhood you want to cruise around
- Cory will send you a list of locations to visit in that neighborhood*
- You can pick up posters at our Headquarters – 1158 NE Morton Street. Rain or shine, day or night – they’ll be outside waiting for you.
- You will visit those locations, and add in new locations – this is a huge part of the project as new awesome places are popping up all the time*
- You send your list to Cory to show what happened at each location
- Once Cory reviews your completed list, she will send you a code to get into Filmed by Bike for free!
- Tell all your friends about Filmed by Bike and rally your festival posse
- Come join us at the festival!
* Our lists have been carefully curated over the years to include the best locations with high visibility.
- This is a fun tradition we’ve been doing since the early days of Filmed by Bike. We’ve visited some of these places for 12 years! Thank you for being on our team for this – it means a lot to us!
- Please bring your own tape and pins.
- No need to talk with people at each shop. The lists are set up with locations you can simply walk into and put up a poster. If you feel more comfortable getting permission, you can, but it’s not necessary unless otherwise noted on your list.
- Please do not discuss the details of the festival. It’s complex and we don’t want you to get stuck answering a million questions, that would take too long. You can simply say, “I’m helping with the posters so I don’t have all the answers, but the website has all the info you’ll need or you can give the festival a call.” We also don’t want you to get caught answering a question you may not know the answer to, or for something that has changed (a lot has changed this year in exciting ways.)
- Keep your notes really clear – that’s how you earn your free entry to Filmed by Bike and it’s what we’ll use for the same neighborhood next year.
- Don’t forget to put your new locations in geographic order, we’ll need those in order to grant your free ticket.
About This Year’s Poster
Mike King has made more rock and roll posters than anyone in America, and now he has also designed a Filmed by Bike poster.
His new book Maximum Plunder features 1,000 pieces of his work over the years. Too bad the book was compiled before our poster was released!
The poster was printed by the amazing folks at Stumptown Printers using an offset (not digital) process on ancient monolithic machines with soul.
You’ll have so much fun bringing this incredible poster around town.
Watch the Video About Mike’s Work
DEADLINE: March 15
Announcing Our 2017 Official Selections
Congratulations! The following filmmakers films have been accepted into Filmed by Bike for 2017.
Filmmaker Next Steps
- Share the love! Show for fans and followers on social media that your film is one of the best, we’re @filmedbybike on Twitter and Instagram.
- Deliver your digital file to films manager Guthrie Straw by March 1st 2017 for additional information on delivery please see our FAQ .
- Consider joining us! Your filmmaker acceptance email contains instructions for making an appearance at this years festival in style, we’d love to have you.
- Check out our Filmmaker Resource Page (It’s updated frequently and contains all the info you’ll need for attending the festival).
If you have any questions please contact our films manager Guthrie at Guthrie@FilmedByBike.org
Please note, all films now shown at Hollywood Theatre, Saturday showings have been moved to 6PM and 8PM respectively. Sunday showings have been moved to 5:30 and 7:30PM respectively.
|FILM TITLE||PRODUCED BY||FROM||SHOWTIME||VENUE|
|5:00 AM||Sam Needham||Great Britain||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|2016 Gorge Roubaix||Dronescape||US||Sunday, May 7, 7:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|8bar Neukln v1 – steel is real||Rick Schubert||Germany||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|A Girl Needs A Bike||Letitia Lamb & Vivien Mason||Australia||Sunday, May 7, 5:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|A Granite State Ride||Sean Collins||US||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|A Way Forward||Pedal Born Pictures – Isaac and Jacob Seigel-Boettner||US||Sunday, May 7, 5:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|All I Want for Christmas||Tina Lagler & Blaž Miklič // OSM films||Slovenia||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Beulah||Luke Francis, Brother Cycles & Pannier||Great Britain||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Bicycle Seismographs||Niklas Roy, Kati Hyyppä||Germany||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Biking The World||Ena Bavcic||Bosnia and Herzegovina||Sunday, May 7, 5:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Closer Than We Know||Stephen Spurlock, Jeff Kennel, Travis Whitty, Mike Palzkill and Keenan Hock||US||Sunday, May 7, 5:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Cycle||Jovan Harmuth, Ian Nolan, Dustin Lange||Canada||Sunday, May 7, 7:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|cycles||Erin Kim||US||Sunday, May 7, 7:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Cycologic||STÅLHAMMAR||Sweeden||Sunday, May 7, 5:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Dada | The Malagasy Trialist||Felix Le Blanc||France||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Dame mit Hund (Walk the dog)||Sonja Rohleder||Germany||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Dean Dickinson in The Dirty Sniff||Bone Deth Bikes, Sean Burns, and Dean Dickinson||US||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Dirty Sellwood: You’re Never Gonna Make It||Manny Marquez||US||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Dust Lust||Tina Lagler & Blaž Miklič // OSM films||Slovenia||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Eat Some Food, Ride Your Bike||Giles Perkins||Great Britain||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Erykah Badu – Black Bikes Matter||Erykah Badu & City Bicycle Company||US||Sunday, May 7, 7:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Every Week Is Awesome||EWIA PRODUCTION||Slovakia||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Five Days on Kokopelli Trail||Dwayne Burgess||US||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Flashes of the Altai||Joey Schusler||US||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|For Thousands of Miles (Official Trailer)||Erica Hampton||US||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Gathering Storm : The Bikes & Wilderness Story||Union Production Co.||Canada||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Gentrification is Weird! – The Ride||Sika Stanton, Austyn Farrell, Chris Serra||US||Sunday, May 7, 7:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Get Some Fresh Air 200k||Jay Ritchey||US||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Giro d’Italia – Ciao Bambino||Onesal||Japan||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Glady-ators Cross Crusades||Amanda New||US||Sunday, May 7, 7:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Hack Bike Derby||The Bicycle Academy||Great Britain||Sunday, May 7, 7:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Hunters Get Deer From the Woods on a Bicycle||Michael Hehner and Chris Johnson||US||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Journey On The Pedals||Nick Wambugu||Kenya||Sunday, May 7, 5:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Joy||Rodney Fuentes||Canada||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Kraynick’s Bike Shop||Bryan Heller||US||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|L’Astuce Vin.||Matthew J Nemer||US||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|La Vuelta||Onesal||Japan||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Light Cycles||Mike Gamble||Canada||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Los Andes en bici. Paso Socompa||Nacion Salvaje||Argentina||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Mantra||Michael Berge||US||Sunday, May 7, 7:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Maurice Burton – The Cyclist||Richie Georgie – Richard Round-Turner and George Daniell||Great Britain||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Mr Right Bike||Elaine Wong||US||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|My Own Private Idaho||Francis Delapena||US||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|My Ride||Jessie Ayles||Great Britain||Sunday, May 7, 5:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|National High Five Day 2016||Kevin Neidorf||US||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|No More Limits | Jimmy the Handcyclist||Objekt Films||Great Britain||Sunday, May 7, 5:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|On Your Mind||Yulia Nemova||Russia||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Pedal It Forward||Catjia Rehkamp||US||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Portrait of my grandfather : 80 and still cycling||Florent Piovesan||Australia||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Race Across America||Lorenz Wetscher, Julian Leupold||Germany||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Red Hook Crit Milano 2016||Ciprian Ciocoiu||Romania||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Revolutions||Jessie Ayles||Great Britain||Sunday, May 7, 5:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Ride for Korah||Locke + Stache Media||US||Sunday, May 7, 5:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Right Foot First: Neil MacGillivray||Jack Willison / Dropshack||Great Britain||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Scratching the Earth||Aaron Peterson||US||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Tallest Race on Two Wheels||Josh Davidsburg, Stewie Mullen, George Stewart Jr.||US||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Teppei Nasty Iwabuchi Fukuoka 2016||Seitaro Iki||Japan||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|The Bicycle Maker||Bidit Roy||India||Sunday, May 7, 5:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|The Bikes of Wrath – Extended Trailer||Cameron Ford, Charlie Turnbull, Lizzette Atkins||Australia||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|The Gaman Spirit: Why Cycling Works in Tokyo||Joe Baur, Streetfilms, Clarence Eckerson Jr.||US||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|The Last Ride||Ryan Van Duzer||US||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|The Mam Nick Hill Climb||Brendon Tyree||Great Britain||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|The Rise of Doom||Louis Lhomel||Canada||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|The world Naked Bike Ride||Jiaqi wang||Great Britain||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Third Wheel||Outdoor Gear Exchange||US||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|To Know How Much Love||Gabriel James / Ghost Village Films||US||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Toer||Jasmijn Cedee||Belgium||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Tourment||Treat Studios||Great Britain||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Tune Up — Mello Velo Bicycle Shop & Cafe||Benjamin Wilson||US||Saturday, May 6, 6pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Velo Visionaries – Alicia Tapia||Kristin Tieche||US||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Voice Notes – A Tandem Ride with Horst A. Friedrichs.||Montenegro & Lafont||Spain||Friday, May 5, 9pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Wild Trails||EWIA Production||Slovakia||Saturday, May 6, 8pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|The Secret Truth of the Universe||Sai Selvarajan||US||Sunday, May 7, 7:30pm||Hollywood Theatre|
|Pedal To Peaks | Norway||Brody Leven||US||Friday, May 5, 7pm||Hollywood Theatre|
About the Venue
Filmed by Bike screens at the Historic Hollywood Theatre
The Hollywood Theatre is a renovated historic theater near Downtown Portland. The theater seats 300.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 6, 2016.
Filmed by Bike is inspiring a culture where cycling is woven seamlessly into everyday life. Be a part of this incredible movement by joining our team as our Festival Assistant, a fun and rewarding role.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The 15th Annual Filmed by Bike is a film festival showcasing the world’s best bicycle movies. We host a large-scale festival in Portland every spring, and our movie programs are screened around the world. Film submissions come from all over the globe.
Our next festival is May 5-7, 2017 at the Hollywood Theatre in Portland. It’s a very exciting year as we’ll be celebrating our 15th Anniversary.
The Festival Assistant is responsible for many important projects that go into making this festival amazing. We rely on input from our interns to help keep our festival fresh every year. Built into this position is a lot of creative freedom and the opportunity to learn and refine your skills along the way. Our ideal candidate knows that many varied details go into making an event successful and will embrace the workload to help put on a good show.
The Festival Assistant will report directly to the Festival Director.
We are a streamlined, creative event. If you enjoy working with a team of efficient people who are involved for an altruistic, true love of the festival, you will fit right in.
HOURS + COMMITMENT
Roughly 5-10 hours a week from mid December through mid May with additional hours directly before and during the festival. We meet just a few times in that period. At times there is very little work to accomplish; at other times the position is busy and deadlines are imperative. It is up to the Festival Assistant to manage this schedule with limited oversight, but plenty of support is always available from the team.
WHAT ARE YOUR TALENTS AND PASSIONS?
We enjoy giving our interns an opportunity to flourish in this role. We look forward to learning more about your interests, talents and passions and finding ways for your skills to contribute to the festival.
We are an extremely positive, supportive work team. We work very hard and are fully dedicated to the festival. We work from home and have regularly scheduled staff meetings. We use Google Docs for file management, Dropbox for film storage and Vimeo for video display. We all work extremely independently with very little oversight, though support is always available when there are questions or roadblocks.
LEARN FROM OUR EXPERTS
Filmed by Bike is entering it’s 15th year presenting the world’s best bike movies. Beyond being a film festival, we are a creative, well executed event. We are dedicated to excellent event production and we bring in a team of the best. You will leave this position with a unique understanding of some of the best event management practices that exist.
We are also blazing a path in the world of bike advocacy by offering a modern tool for bike advocates to add to their toolkit: an out-of-the-box bike movie night. Our movie collections are seen around the world as a way to motivate more people to ride.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS – Skills, Equipment and Characteristics
* Driven toward success and a desire to do a great job.
* Ability to devise creative approaches to complex situations.
* Cool under pressure
* Friendly, positive, personable, works well with the public.
* Communications oriented – can do a good job of representing the festival to a wide variety of people in writing and in person.
* Ability to explain complex information in a clear, concise fashion.
* Works independently with thorough initial instruction but limited oversight after that.
* Thorough with detailed projects, doesn’t mind the occasional office tasks.
* Knows how to set project priorities and ask questions to stay on track.
* Ability to balance Filmed by Bike workload with other life commitments.
* Ability to work well with volunteers, provide clear instruction and efficiently support them as they donate their time to our organization. The volunteer work must help alleviate the workload, not create more work. It is up to the person in this position to make that happen effectively.
* Creative, eager to brainstorm new ideas for the festival.
* Desire to hone your skills by contributing to our festival.
* Excellent correspondence etiquette and a dedication to well composed email messages.
* Hustle. Ability to work a sale, close the deal and have fun doing it.
* Event management experience.
* Remote working experience or positions where you’ve worked with limited oversight.
VOLUNTEER OUTREACH – 10%
* Work with volunteers on specialty projects.
* Recruit volunteers for the festival
FESTIVAL SUPPORT – 20%
* Assistance with projects related to the execution of our festival in Portland.
* Working during the festival on opening night and other days of the festival.
AD SALES – 15%
We offer the opportunity for local businesses to support the festival by purchasing an on-screen ad.
* Sell on-screen advertising to local businesses.
* Secure ad artwork.
* Bill clients and ensure payment is received.
JURY SCREENING – 2%
Watch bike movie submissions before anyone else!
* Help with the set up of our Jury Screening in January.
* Greet Jurors and make them feel welcome.
OUTREACH – 15%
* Promote Filmed by Bike to area groups and clubs.
* Attend a few special events to promote Filmed by Bike.
* Help distribute our posters around town, with the support of a team of volunteers you will oversee.
RAFFLE PRIZE RECRUITMENT – 20%
The Filmed by Bike Speed Raffle is a wildly fun aspect of our opening night – one that attendees look forward to every year as we raffle off $2,000+ in high quality prizes.
In this position, you will be responsible for securing prizes, but you will not have to run the raffle. We have an experienced team of supporters who make that aspect happen.
We have a wealthy of generous prize donors from over the years and recruiting prizes is not a difficult task.
* Recruit prizes.
* Pick up prizes.
* Thank donors.
ADDITIONAL PROJECTS AS NEEDED – 18%
* Other projects will arise.
This is a paid internship. A total sum of $1,000 will be awarded in two installments ($500 each) upon successful completion of the work.
Staff perks include free entry to the festival, networking opportunities, learning on the job and the opportunity to work with filmmakers.
HOW TO APPLY
Send the following to Info@FilmedByBike.org by the deadline listed above:
* Cover letter that addresses why you want this job and why you would be really good at it
The 15th Annual Filmed by Bike is May 5-7 at the Hollywood Theatre in Portland, Oregon.
Our team is hard at work curating an impressive collection of films to dazzle and delight.
December 1 – Jury nominations are due
January 20 – Film deadline
March 1 – Tickets go on sale
Every fall, movie and bike lovers start working with us for a few months. By the time they’re finished, they’re Bike Movie Experts. It’s a pretty amazing transformation to witness. Learn how we select the world’s best bike movies by joining us as a Bike Movie Expert in Training.
Filmed by Bike features the World’s Best Bike Movies with a huge film festival in Portland, Oregon every May. Our film collections then travel the world to build vibrant bike communities.
Watch the Video
Joey Schusler is an adventurer extraordinaire who also creates gorgeous films about his journeys. In his early 20’s he realized his bike could be more than simply a thrill-seeking tool for racing the clock, it could also be a tool for adventure and getting an personal view of the world.
“Gotya” is an intriguing bike-themed film set in India. We spent some time talking with filmmaker Devansh Mathur about the making of this complex piece.
Dwayne Burgess says it was Ron Fricke’s “Koyaanisqatsi” that really paved the way for him as a filmmaker. “My first film was born out of the pure desire to challenge myself to create moving image with a digital camera, push every aspect of my knowledge and technical artistry using time lapse photography.” Continue reading
Ryan Van Duzer describes himself as a tree-hugging hipping boy from Boulder who has never owned a car.
Damian Ineichen says he loves to capture adventures with friends, and for him film is the best way to do that.
Exclusive Online Showing
This film is only available to VIP Festival Pass Holders. You will need a code to watch this film, and the code was sent to you in an email.