APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 6, 2016.
Filmed by Bike is inspiring a culture where cycling is woven seamlessly into everyday life. Be a part of this incredible movement by joining our team as our Festival Assistant, a fun and rewarding role.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The 15th Annual Filmed by Bike is a film festival showcasing the world’s best bicycle movies. We host a large-scale festival in Portland every spring, and our movie programs are screened around the world. Film submissions come from all over the globe.
Our next festival is May 5-7, 2017 at the Hollywood Theatre in Portland. It’s a very exciting year as we’ll be celebrating our 15th Anniversary.
The Festival Assistant is responsible for many important projects that go into making this festival amazing. We rely on input from our interns to help keep our festival fresh every year. Built into this position is a lot of creative freedom and the opportunity to learn and refine your skills along the way. Our ideal candidate knows that many varied details go into making an event successful and will embrace the workload to help put on a good show.
The Festival Assistant will report directly to the Festival Director.
We are a streamlined, creative event. If you enjoy working with a team of efficient people who are involved for an altruistic, true love of the festival, you will fit right in.
HOURS + COMMITMENT
Roughly 5-10 hours a week from mid December through mid May with additional hours directly before and during the festival. We meet just a few times in that period. At times there is very little work to accomplish; at other times the position is busy and deadlines are imperative. It is up to the Festival Assistant to manage this schedule with limited oversight, but plenty of support is always available from the team.
WHAT ARE YOUR TALENTS AND PASSIONS?
We enjoy giving our interns an opportunity to flourish in this role. We look forward to learning more about your interests, talents and passions and finding ways for your skills to contribute to the festival.
We are an extremely positive, supportive work team. We work very hard and are fully dedicated to the festival. We work from home and have regularly scheduled staff meetings. We use Google Docs for file management, Dropbox for film storage and Vimeo for video display. We all work extremely independently with very little oversight, though support is always available when there are questions or roadblocks.
LEARN FROM OUR EXPERTS
Filmed by Bike is entering it’s 15th year presenting the world’s best bike movies. Beyond being a film festival, we are a creative, well executed event. We are dedicated to excellent event production and we bring in a team of the best. You will leave this position with a unique understanding of some of the best event management practices that exist.
We are also blazing a path in the world of bike advocacy by offering a modern tool for bike advocates to add to their toolkit: an out-of-the-box bike movie night. Our movie collections are seen around the world as a way to motivate more people to ride.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS – Skills, Equipment and Characteristics
* Driven toward success and a desire to do a great job.
* Ability to devise creative approaches to complex situations.
* Cool under pressure
* Friendly, positive, personable, works well with the public.
* Communications oriented – can do a good job of representing the festival to a wide variety of people in writing and in person.
* Ability to explain complex information in a clear, concise fashion.
* Works independently with thorough initial instruction but limited oversight after that.
* Thorough with detailed projects, doesn’t mind the occasional office tasks.
* Knows how to set project priorities and ask questions to stay on track.
* Ability to balance Filmed by Bike workload with other life commitments.
* Ability to work well with volunteers, provide clear instruction and efficiently support them as they donate their time to our organization. The volunteer work must help alleviate the workload, not create more work. It is up to the person in this position to make that happen effectively.
* Creative, eager to brainstorm new ideas for the festival.
* Desire to hone your skills by contributing to our festival.
* Excellent correspondence etiquette and a dedication to well composed email messages.
* Hustle. Ability to work a sale, close the deal and have fun doing it.
* Event management experience.
* Remote working experience or positions where you’ve worked with limited oversight.
VOLUNTEER OUTREACH – 10%
* Work with volunteers on specialty projects.
* Recruit volunteers for the festival
FESTIVAL SUPPORT – 20%
* Assistance with projects related to the execution of our festival in Portland.
* Working during the festival on opening night and other days of the festival.
AD SALES – 15%
We offer the opportunity for local businesses to support the festival by purchasing an on-screen ad.
* Sell on-screen advertising to local businesses.
* Secure ad artwork.
* Bill clients and ensure payment is received.
JURY SCREENING – 2%
Watch bike movie submissions before anyone else!
* Help with the set up of our Jury Screening in January.
* Greet Jurors and make them feel welcome.
OUTREACH – 15%
* Promote Filmed by Bike to area groups and clubs.
* Attend a few special events to promote Filmed by Bike.
* Help distribute our posters around town, with the support of a team of volunteers you will oversee.
RAFFLE PRIZE RECRUITMENT – 20%
The Filmed by Bike Speed Raffle is a wildly fun aspect of our opening night – one that attendees look forward to every year as we raffle off $2,000+ in high quality prizes.
In this position, you will be responsible for securing prizes, but you will not have to run the raffle. We have an experienced team of supporters who make that aspect happen.
We have a wealthy of generous prize donors from over the years and recruiting prizes is not a difficult task.
* Recruit prizes.
* Pick up prizes.
* Thank donors.
ADDITIONAL PROJECTS AS NEEDED – 18%
* Other projects will arise.
This is a paid internship. A total sum of $1,000 will be awarded in two installments ($500 each) upon successful completion of the work.
Staff perks include free entry to the festival, networking opportunities, learning on the job and the opportunity to work with filmmakers.
HOW TO APPLY
Send the following to Info@FilmedByBike.org by the deadline listed above:
* Cover letter that addresses why you want this job and why you would be really good at it
Chris Bruntlett | Vancouver, Canada
Baroudeur & Colorado Media GmbH | Berlin, Germany