Late Submissions DEADLINE: 1/26/2017 by 11:59PM PST
About the Festival
Filmed by Bike showcases the world’s best bike movies with a curated collection that travels the world and a huge film festival here in Portland, Oregon every spring at the Hollywood Theatre.
Submissions are restricted to 25 minutes or less. We accept a limited number of movies that are longer, so if you think your piece has what it takes to make it past our Jury, please submit your film. Bear in mind that Filmed by Bike is world-renowned for being a film festival of very short bike movies. Shorter is sweeter.
Golden Helmet Award, presented by Travel Oregon – $200 cash prize
Independent Music Award, presented by Radio Room – $100 cash prize
Audience Choice – $100 cash prize
Local Award, presented by the Bicycle Transportation Alliance – $100 cash prize
MORE INFO >>
Our esteemed jury of film and bike enthusiasts will preview submissions and make the final selections. They will choose approximately 55 movies for the final program.
Use Licensed Music
Filmed by Bike believes in giving credit to talented musicians. Submissions with licensed music are eligible for the Independent Music Award, presented by Radio Room, a cash prize. Using music without permission (a license) will limit the audience for your film. Tip: Ask a local musician, there’s a good chance she or he will say yes.
- The music or sound designs used in your film is your own.
- The music in your film was made for your use with permission
- The music used in your film is licensed by Creative Commons and you’ve given the appropriate credit.
- You licensed the music in your film for this specific use and can provide documentation if requested
- You will not hear from us until January at the earliest.
- Submit your film(s) by 1/20
- The jury reviews submissions in January
- We announce the accepted films in February
- If accepted, you must send us your final film by February 20 [info]
For submission information, please contact Guthrie Straw, Films Manager.
- We focus on short films. Submissions longer than 20 minutes are not likely to be accepted.
- 2 seconds of black at the beginning of your piece
- Quicktime format (.mov files) or MP4
- 1920×1080 frame dimensions preferred. (Definitely not below 720×480) LARGER IS FINE
- H.264 codec or very similar
- Above 8000 kb/s to 10000 kb/s (or alternately, 8 mb/s to 10 mb/s)
- 2.0 stereo (Preferred. Unless you’re doing surround sound)
How to Transfer Your Film
- Host your movie online. We recommend Vimeo. It is okay to password protect your film. Include the link to your film on your submission form.
- Please do not send a DVD.
- For the Final Format, we will need the actual file (a YouTube link won’t work) [more info].