REGULAR Deadline: 1/20/2022
LATE SUBMISSION Deadline: 1/26/2022 by 11:59PM PST
($15 Fee Increase)
About the Festival
Filmed by Bike showcases the world’s best bike movies with a curated collection that travels the world and a huge film festival here in Portland, Oregon every spring at the Hollywood Theatre.
Submissions are restricted to 35 minutes or less. We may accept a limited number of films that are longer, so if you think your piece has what it takes to make it past our Jury, please submit your film. Bear in mind that Filmed by Bike is world-renowned for being a film festival of very short bike movies. Shorter is sweeter.
Golden Helmet Award – Top prize.
Audience Choice – Finally, the audience gets to have their say!
Local Award, presented by The Bike More Challenge + The Street Trust – For locals only 🙂
Our esteemed jury of film and bike enthusiasts will preview submissions and make the final selections. They will choose approximately 70 films for the festival.
- Due to our submissions window, you will not hear from us until mid-February at the earliest regarding your films acceptance.
- Submit your film(s) by the deadline listed above.
- The jury reviews submissions in late January.
- We announce the accepted films in the week prior of our Ticket Launch Party, usually the first Thursday in March.
Requirements To Submit For Jury Consideration
- We focus on short films. Submissions longer than 20 minutes are not likely to be accepted.
- You will be asked to provide a link to view your film online. Youtube, Vimeo, etc.
We accept film submissions only through FilmFreeway.
Jury Selected Film Requirements
If your film is selected by our jury, you will be asked to submit a final format file with the following criteria for inclusion in the festival:
- Codec: Apple ProRes 422 (standard)
- Container: .mov
- Resolution: 1920×1080 resolution (4k can be delivered in addition if desired, as long as a 1920×1080 version is also included)
- Encoding: H.264 with variable bit rate between 15-30mbps, or 100-150mbps if delivering 4k in addition to 1920×1080 file size
- 2.0 channel stereo mix
How to Transfer Your Film
- When you submit via FilmFreeway you can either upload your film file or input a link.
- We prefer Vimeo, and it is okay to password protect your film. Just make sure you include the password when filling out the information in FilmFreeway’s system.
- If your film is selected, for the Final Format delivery, we will need the actual file (a YouTube/Vimeo/Other link won’t work). In most cases, we will request download permission through the FilmFreeway platform.
- Not sure how to submit using the above requirements? Please check out out our Final Format instructions for more information on setting up your final format submission.
Filmed by Bike believes in giving credit to talented musicians. Using music without permission (a license) will limit the audience for your film, but your film is still eligible for entry.
- The music or sound designs used in your film is your own.
- The music in your film was made for your use with permission
- The music used in your film is licensed by Creative Commons and you’ve given the appropriate credit.
- You licensed the music in your film for this specific use and can provide documentation if requested
For submission information, please contact Melina Coumas, Films Manager.