Supporting Black, Indigenous and all People of Color to tell their bicycle stories
Here at Filmed by Bike, we have long had a focus of carving out intentional space for positions of power, prominence and celebration for Black, Indigenous, and all People of Color (BIPOC), and for women. We spend eight months of the year digging into the far reaching corners of the internet in search of the world’s best bike movies. (Really, it’s not as scary of a place as you might think it is.)
You know what we’ve learned over the years? The world is dreadfully devoid of films created by or about BIPOC cyclists.
That’s not to say the films aren’t out there, it’s just to say they are rare and precious gems – the quantity of which does not reflect the population of people who are passionate about riding bikes.
We know there are many barriers to filmmaking, and funding is a huge barrier. So we decided to do our part to help bring more representation to the world of bike movies. We hope you’ll join us by applying for a grant, spreading the word about this program, and making a donation today.
About the BIPOC Filmmaker Grant, Presented by Machines for Freedom
- Launched September 10, 2020
- Grants of $1,500-$2,000
- There is no fee to apply
- Number of grants awarded will be determined by financial contributions to the BIPOC Grant Program
Fostering New and Emerging Filmmakers
- Experienced and non-experienced filmmakers are welcome to apply for a grant
- Filmmakers have the option of being paired with an advisor for one-on-one support in bringing the film concept to the screen
- Films granted through this program are reviewed by the Filmed by Bike Festival Jury, an annual panel of bike and film lovers
- Final films will be presented in our Annual Filmed by Bike Festival then go on tour around the world!
Become a Sponsor
Sponsorship makes a HUGE difference in the number of grants and amounts we can award. Join our incredible team of sponsors today!
Help us reach our $5,000 goal to support emerging BIPOC filmmakers!
Apply for a Grant
The 2022 application period is currently open!
Spread the Word!
We appreciate your support in all its forms. Please feel free to use the beautiful images in our Social Media Toolkit to spread the word far and wide!
Check Out Our Amazing Sponsors
Thank you for making the BIPOC Filmmaker Grant, Presented by Machines for Freedom, possible!