As a treat to our local bike community, we’re sharing our favorite routes to help you get out and enjoy the ride. Each week we’ll publish a new route.
Nature in the City: North Portland Loop
This week’s route comes to us courtesy of Filmed by Bike Founder and Director Ayleen Crotty.
“I call this route Nature in the City because it always amazes me we can experience gorgeous natural spaces teeming with wildlife, right here in the city. This is the first long Portland ride I ever experienced – a 21 mile round trip cruise from my doorstep. I used to ride this route regularly with friends and my dog – who would run the whole way. That sweet bike ride loving pup has long since passed away, and this ride always reminds me of her.
I was first drawn to this route because it’s mostly on off-road paths and takes you to places that feel worlds apart from the city, yet you can easily ride this directly from your front door. It’s great for those new to distance riding because it’s flat-flat-flat. Bring a picnic and stop at Kelley Point Park to sink your toes in the sand and take in the views.”
- Smith and Bybee Lakes – the largest urban wetland wildlife refuge in the US
- Kelley Point Park – the confluence of the Columbia and Willamette Rivers. Bring your swimsuit in the summertime and jump in on the Willamette side.
- A spin through St. Johns – perfect place to grab a snack on the way home
- Willamette Blvd cruise – the twinkling city lights are are quite a sight at night
- Many off-road pathways will guide you here for a low-traffic adventure
Explore the route
Click View Full Route for a full page view. Use Ride With GPS to download and navigate this route on your device.