APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 15, 2015 – 8pm.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The 13th Annual Filmed by Bike is a film festival featuring the best bicycle themed movies from around the world. We coordinate a high energy event that features a huge street party, auxiliary events and two days of movies at the theater. Film submissions come from around the world.
The Festival Assistant will contribute to Filmed by Bike through varied exciting responsibilities to ensure a successful festival as one of they key staff. This position is geared toward someone who has a true passion for events and wants to make the magic happen. Our ideal candidate knows that many odd details go into making an event successful and will embrace the workload to help put on a good show.
The Festival Assistant will report directly to the Festival Director.
We are a streamlined, creative event. If you enjoy working with a team of efficient people who are involved for an altruistic, true love of the event, you will fit right in.
It would be ideal if the Festival Assistant is available January 23 and 25 in the evening for a special event that will help set the tone for the festival.
HOURS + COMMITMENT
Roughly 5-10 hours a week from mid February through May 30. Meetings every other week, on a very flexible schedule. Workload increases as the festival draws near and Festival Assistant must be available for increased work May 10-25.
We are an extremely positive, supportive work team. We work very hard and are fully dedicated to the festival. We work from home and gather three times a month for a meeting at our sponsored group office, Radio Room in NE Portland. We use Google Docs for file management.
REQUIRED SKILLS + CHARACTERISTICS
* Ability to work hard and set other things aside when urgent projects arise, ability to rest up and save energy when workload is mild.
* Cool under pressure.
* Friendly, positive, personable, welcoming, works well with the public.
* Communications oriented – can do an excellent job of representing the festival to a wide variety of people.
* Works independently with thorough initial instruction but limited oversight after that.
* Thorough with detailed projects, doesn’t mind office tasks.
* Ability to take ownership of crucial large, detailed projects and see them through from beginning to end, navigating the ups and downs, twists and turns – all along the way asking questions, devising strategies, thinking through options, presenting ideas and making results happen.
* Knows how to set project priorities and ask questions to stay on track.
* Ability to balance Filmed by Bike workload with other life commitments.
* Excellent correspondence etiquette.
* Creative, eager to brainstorm new ideas for the festival.
* A love of bikes.
* A love of film.
PERMITTING – 13%
* Relations with residential and business neighbors.
* Submitting permits to the City of Portland.
PROMOTIONAL SUPPORT – 25%
* Attend events to promote Filmed by Bike.
* Assist in the execution of other promotional projects.
* Outreach to related groups
AD SALES – 12%
* Sell advertising for the festival.
* Bill clients, follow up on billing.
* 50% commission on all ads sold beyond the base level.
* Post-event thank you to clients.
EVENT COORDINATION – 17%
* Mandatory work both days of the festival, May 22-23 and possibly some work on May 24.
FILMMAKER RELATIONS – 11%
* Filmmaker Concierge: Answer festival questions, help filmmakers see the best of Portland and have a good visit.
* Manage our Homestay Program to find housing for visiting filmmakers.
* Organize and oversee events for filmmakers.
MERCHANDISING + PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT – 9%
* Research product ideas.
* Recommend and potentially oversee products for development.
* Oversee the merchandising, display and sales of Filmed by Bike products.
This is a contract position that pays $2,200 in two installments based on performance. Half payment on April 1, the rest at the end of the festival.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume and cover letter as a PDF to Festival Director Ayleen Crotty: Ayleen@FilmedByBike.org. A .doc file is acceptable if that is your only option. Please ensure your cover letter clearly answers this question:
* How did you hear about this position? Please be as specific as possible.