APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 12, 2014.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The 12th Annual Filmed by Bike is a film festival featuring the best bicycle themed movies from around the world. We coordinate a high energy event that features a huge street party with beer garden, auxiliary events and four days at the theater. Film submissions come from around the world.
The Festival Assistant will contribute to Filmed by Bike through myriad responsibilities to ensure a successful festival. This position is geared toward someone who has a true passion for events. Our ideal candidate knows that many odd details go into making an event successful and will embrace the workload to help put on a good show.
The Festival Assistant will report directly to the Festival Director.
We are a streamlined, creative event. If you enjoy working with a team of efficient people who are involved for an altruistic, true love of the event, you will fit right in.
It would be ideal if the Festival Assistant is available January 24 and 26 in the evening for a special event that will help set the tone for the festival.
HOURS + COMMITMENT
Roughly 5-10 hours a week from late January through April 25. Meetings every other week, on a very flexible schedule. Workload increases as the festival draws near and Festival Assistant must be available for increased work April 7-18.
We are an extremely positive, supportive work team. We work very hard and are fully dedicated to the festival. We work from home and gather every two weeks for a meeting at our sponsored group office, Radio Room in NE Portland. We use Google Docs for file management.
REQUIRED SKILLS + CHARACTERISTICS
* Ability to work hard and set other things aside when urgent projects arise, ability to rest up and save energy when workload is mild.
* Cool under pressure
* Friendly, positive, personable, works well with the public.
* Communications oriented – can do a good job of representing the festival to a wide variety of people.
* Works independently with thorough initial instruction but limited oversight after that.
* Thorough with detailed projects, doesn’t mind office tasks.
* Knows how to set project priorities and ask questions to stay on track.
* Ability to balance Filmed by Bike workload with other life commitments.
* Excellent correspondence etiquette.
* Creative, eager to brainstorm new ideas for the festival.
* A love of bikes.
* A love of film.
* Basic video editing skills.
VOLUNTEERISM – 25%
* Oversee the successful Filmed by Bike Volunteer Program and maintain relationships with our volunteer base.
* Coordinate volunteers on Opening Night.
PERMITTING – 10%
* Relations with residential and business neighbors.
* Submitting permits to the City of Portland.
PROMOTIONAL SUPPORT – 27%
* Attend events to promote Filmed by Bike.
* Interview filmmakers for the website.
* Assist in the execution of other promotional projects.
AD SALES – 15%
* Sell advertising for the festival.
* Bill clients, follow up on billing.
* 50% commission on all ads sold beyond the base level.
* Post-event thank you to clients.
EVENT COORDINATION – 23%
* Mandatory work on April 19 all day.
* Assist with other days of the festival (April 20-22), TBD.
* Run errands, oversee supplies.
This is a contract position that pays $2,000 in two installments based on performance. Half payment on March 15, the rest at the end of the festival.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume and cover letter as a PDF to Festival Director Ayleen Crotty: [email protected] A .doc file is acceptable if that is your only option. Please ensure your cover letter clearly answers this question:
* How did you hear about this position? Please be as specific as possible.